Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The perks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky


The Perks of Being a Wallflower

This six-weeks I decided to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky. This book was copy written in 1999 as a fiction book and recently was made into a movie. This book is about a shy high-school freshman named Charlie, who stays to the sidelines and doesn’t have many friends. The closest friend he had committed suicide. When he thought he had nobody, Patrick and Sam show up and show him how great he really is. Charlie faces many challenges his freshman year, but with the help of his new friends he learns how to appreciate life by enjoying the little things. Charlie has a vast knowledge and a great taste in music, but he doesn’t see that in himself. In the end everyone who is close to him helps him realize how great he is, and how he needs to be able to care about himself and not just worry about everybody else. After I read this, I decided that the theme was to be yourself; whether that means being the jock, the cheerleader, the queen bee, the nerd, the freak, or the “nobody”. It doesn’t matter what other people thought about you, only what you see in yourself.     

            This story is told from the first-person point-of-view. Charlie tells the story by writing letters to a mystery person about everything that he experiences and feels. The plot is focused on how Charlie can’t hide his love for Sam and how he misses his aunt Helen; this causes Charlie to question his life many times in the story. The intended audience is teens and young-adults, because the setting takes place in high school and many of the conflicts in the story are relatable for this age group. The genre is realistic fiction and teen drama. The book fits into this category because even though it’s a fictional book, it has many believable themes and conflicts in it. The author kept me interested by adding unexpected plot twists. For example; right when Charlie’s life starts to get better, a setback happens. The author’s style is to write about common experiences in everyone’s life. This is effective for the author’s intended audience. The things he writes about happen to everyone at least once, but each of us thinks that we are the only one out there that thinks or feels that way. This book tells us differently and encourages us not to think of ourselves as useless or helpless, but as unique, original, and worthy.         

            This book affected me because it talked about losing someone and about feeling lost. I have experienced both of these things, so the book really connected with the way that I feel. At one part I started to cry because Charlie was experiencing a great deal of pain and the author described it in such a way that it was almost impossible for me not to cry. This made me better understand why the author wrote this and why Charlie felt such pain. This fits in with my own personal world view, because I believe that everyone has a second identity and they can choose whether or not to show it. The hidden part of us is where we express pain, sadness, and love. It did not bring up memories of other books or authors that I have read, because I think it’s a unique book and there is none like it that I have read. Every book I read I think of differently, so it is very hard for me to relate it to another book.

            I thought this book was as sad as it was happy. It was a beautiful book that shows both love and life. I didn’t think it had any flaws or “slow” parts, but that’s because for me, it was one of the best books I’ve ever read. I strongly recommend this book because I think anybody my age, both male and female, could find this an interesting and relatable book. You may not like it as much as I did, but it’s definitely a book to try.

 

Madeline Jones

11/6/13

RATING: **** 4/5

           

No comments:

Post a Comment