Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Rise of Nine


       The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore is a Sci-Fi book copyrighted in 2012.  This is the third book in the I   Am Number Four series.  In the first two books, a group of nine children and nine adults were forced to leave their home planet, Lorien, because of an attack from aliens from another planet.  They land on Earth in a year and disperse across the world so that they would have less of a chance to be caught by the aliens.  This book is about their journey running away from the aliens, training to fight them, and trying to find each other.

The novel is told by switching from character to character from around the world in first person until they find each other.  First the characters start scattered around the world with one teenager and one adult in each location.  As the book progresses, the characters find one another to team-up and fight groups of the aliens that followed they to earth.  They train and train together along the way, hoping to one day defeat the aliens so they can return to their home planet.  At the end, there is a huge battle between the nine remaining Loriens on Earth and the leader of the aliens that attacked them.

This book is a Science Fiction for young adults because it is all about Aliens, space travel, and futuristic technology.  The author entertains his audience by using action, and interesting concepts such as space travel.  He also mixes in his own style: humor, creativity, and action, which keep his audience hooked.

This didn’t really affect me other than keep me reading!  This book is focused on fictional things so it did not change my views or ideas, it was just a fun read.  Because it is so fake and dramatic, I cannot compare it to my life.  While I go to school, they train to fight against aliens.  Instead of taking their dog for a walk, they run away from the police.  I have never been in any of these situations.  I have read a lot of science fiction books in the past so it does remind me of those books.

I did enjoy this book, but not as much as I had hoped to, maybe I’ll try a different genre next time.  I do recommend this book for young adults who like the sci-fi and action elements of books.  But if that isn’t your thing, than I recommend reading something else.

Meredith Malone
11/5/13
*** 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment