Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wonder- R.J. Palacio

I decided to read Wonder, this six weeks written by R.J. Palicio. Wonder is the only book Palicio has written as an author. The first copyright date for this book was February 14, 2012. Wonder is a nonfiction book about the protagonist August Pullman, and his journey to overcome the reality of bullies and learning how to get his peers and new classmates to accept him for who he is. I think the overall theme of this book is acceptance.

August tells the story in a first person point of view. The intended audience for this book seems to be for both teens, adults and people who have a compassionate characteristic. The general genre of this book is nonfiction because this is a realistic situation but this story isn't specific to anyone named August Pullman's life. The author of this book kept me interested by incorporating realistic/real-life events with fictional characters and settings to allow the author to add more details into this story. This helps the readers stay involved in the plot of the story.

This book affected me by making me realize how fortunate I am to not have to deal with bullies as a part of my everyday life and how grateful I should be for everyone who accepts me for who I am. This story fits in with my personal world view because it shows how everyone (no matter who they are), should respect anyone they come across in their lifetime no matter how they look or how they act. This book didn't bring up any memories of other books I have read in the past.

Overall, my thoughts on this book were that it is very well written and detailed considering that the author had not faced the situation being addressed in the plot. I think it is an enjoyable read, and I recommend it for any of my fellow classmates.

Nicole Childress
11/5/13
****





1 comment: