Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Allegiant- Veronica Roth

For my book report, I read Allegiant by Veronica Roth.  Allegiant was a great book, it is kind of a Science fictiony book and a Drama at the same time.  And I'm not really a guy to read drama... but this was a great book.  Allegiant was the third book in the trilogy, Divergent (Being the first) and Insurgent being the second. The main plot to Allegiant is (leaving off where the last book ends) they are being controlled by Tobias's mom and they want to break out of the city with the allegiant group.  They break out of the factions city and are left to explore the world with some "old" friends.
But along with just being a thrilling book, I think there is a message.  To me the message is "no matter how small you are... you can always make a difference".  Because even though Tobias, and Tris are just one person.  They still make a massive difference.

The story is told in first person (switching from person to person).  The author really catches my attention by showing how they move from the factions city, out to the real world and the changes that happen.  How things that we think are just "so normal" are completely amazing and new to them.  Also I really like that they show the conflicts and struggles outside the factions city as well as inside the city.  And how they almost show these conflicts inside the city from a "god like" perspective.  Another think I like about this book is how (as I said in the paragraph above) the author keeps a Sci Fi perspective but also has a drama aspect spin.  It really keeps it interesting for all audiences.

This book really had a strong affect on me, this is one of the only book series I really get emotional about.  But don't mistake that... you wont find me crying on the floor weeping about how (SPOILER) Tris died.  Haha if you didn't read the book and then read that sucks for you.  But anyway the ending of this book really didn't satisfy me.  I felt like they tied all the lose ends but not in the best way.  It left me feeling very conflicted. But on the bright side, I really liked Veronicas style of writing in this book.  It really helped me... feel the mood.

Well as a critique, I would say I really liked the book.  Her style of writing and use of having the hidden meaning in there really helped contribute to the book.  But one thing I really think she could have done better was having a better ending.  This ending just left me feeling dry and not fulfilled.  A lot of the side characters stories were not completely filled in to me.

David Simmons
12/18/13
RATING: **** 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment