Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green was published January 2012.  It a young adult novel about a cancer patent named Hazel.  Hazel, diagnosed with thyroid cancer has never been anything but terminal.  She is forced by her parents to go to a support group where she meets Augustus Waters, who had a type of bone cancer but was cancer free after his leg a had been amputated.  The theme for this novel is that love triumphs over hardships.

Hazel narrates this novel as she tells how she feels about what happens.  She describes her and Augustus's trip to Europe in search for Peter Van Houten, Hazel's favorite author and opens a window to what she feel when they finally meet him.  This novel is intended for young adults but while mostly girls read it, I think many boys would find it interesting.  I would describe this book as a young adult novel because of its intended audience and plot.  John Green does a great job keeping his audience hooked. When I first started this book, I thought it was going to be boring, but its a real page turner with all of the "staccato bursts of humor and tragedy," says Jodi Picoult, who is another author.  This quote describes Green's style perfectly.

The Fault in Our Stars actually affected me a great deal.  Hazel's character is so smart and has such an ejective view of the world that it is almost impossible not to learn from her.  She even changed my view of the world.  I don't have much experience with terminal diseases but Green does such a wonderful job that I am convinced he must have a lot of experience with it.  I have never read a book like this.

This was an amazing book!  John Green makes you feel like you are really there, really feeling Hazels joy and pain.  I recommend this book not just to teenage girls, but to everyone.

Meredith Malone
12/15/13
*****5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment