Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The History of Rap Music: Cookie Lommel



The History Of Rap Music

The History of Rap Music
By: Cookie Lommel
Dylan Snelson



The History of Rap Music  by Cookie Lommel is a book telling all about how the music started, and what were its influences. The publication date of this book is January of 2001. There really is no general plot to the book because it is nonfiction. The book does go in chronological order. I think there really is no theme to the book because it is nonfiction.

                  The book is told by third person point of view, and the plot is about how rap started out as just small rhythmic chants to what we have today. Rap all started in 1984 with the Sugar hill Gangs hit song Rappers Delite,and in the late 1980's rapper developed to more gangster, and a east coast west coast battle. The intended audience is teens, and young adults how like to listen to rap music. The genre of the book is rap music, and you can tell by the title of the book. The author keeps you interested by not only giving you information on the music, but what went on behind the scenes. The authors style is to hit you with facts, but also give you some back story which I think would work for the intended audience.
             
                 This book affected me by making me realize more about rap music, and how it started. The book changed how I looked at rap because i always preferred west coast, but now i like both equally. This book changes my view on rap because it evolved from chanting to now being all about drugs, sex, and gangs. This book reminds me of the last outside of class book I read which is about the greatest rapper of all time. The book I read before is of course about non other then Tupac Shakur.

                 I really enjoyed reading this book because it was on a genre that I liked, and was interesting. I would recommend this book to a man by the name of Benjamin Kurio so he can find out more about rap music.

Dylan Snelson
12/18/13
RATING:6/5 ******
(Still not nearly as good as the book I read on Tupac.)


No comments:

Post a Comment