Sunday, December 15, 2013

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children By: Ransom Riggs


The book I have read is Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by: Ransom Riggs. The first copyright date is 2011. This book is about a strange house that peculiar children lived in back in the 1940s. These children have special powers and were abandoned at this orphanage. Jacob, a 16 year old, has a grandfather who tells stories about the children and claims to be "one of them." Jacob doesn't believe him at first, but he wonders, "could those children still be alive?" He later goes on the island that the house is on and tries to unravel the secrets behind it. This book's theme would be to respect your life even if you think it could be all ordinary. Life could have extraordinary surprises in it. 

This point of view of the story is in first person. It truly makes you feel like you're entering the character's thoughts and emotions. A person who likes mystery and imagery would like this book. The book fits into the mystery category because of the peculiar children and their mysterious powers. The imagery is expressed not only through the text but also through the eerie photos that are displayed throughout the book. The author writes in a style with suspense and mystery and a great sense of detail. He incorporates words that aren't basic. For example, "I spied a narrow corridor of freshly stomped palmettos not far away." The creative words he used kept me interested in the story, and I did not want to put the book down!

The book didn't affect me when it comes to my personal world view, but it certainly showed me how to develop simple sentences into descriptive, advanced sentences. I did learn, though, that you should accept life and don't treat it like it's some ordinary routine. The book is very unique and can't really be compared to any other books that I've read. 

As I said, this book has very good qualities like the wording, description, suspense, and mystery. I recommend this book because you can learn an interesting and creative way to write. If you enjoy mystery novels, try this book out. If you don't, I'm confident that you will love it.

Ariana Ledezma 
12/14/13
RATING: ***** 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment